Monday, January 24, 2011

3-D Lizards


These paper lizards can be completed in one or two lessons and they teach children about shades and tints, as well as paper sculpture strategies. I got this lesson off of someone's website and I can't remember what his website is called!

To start put several different shades and tints of green construction paper on each table, enough for each child to select one. Even if they don't get the color they prefer, they are all going to wind up sharing the paper anyway. 

Next the children fold the paper in half length-wise. They draw the profile of a lizard with marker, trying to fill up the whole paper. I rarely set out pencils for the children to use. They make things too small and they erase practically everything. We've had a much easier time with the Sharpies. The profile of the lizard is shown below. I don't give them a stencil to use, I like how they come out when the children draw their own. The two lines in the middle are a tab to help the finished lizard stand up.

Next the children cut out the lizard. They will have two tails when they open it up. Have them cut off one tail if they choose.  Many of my students wanted to keep both tails. 

Next its time to fold the tab and glue it in place. Depending on how thick they made the body they may need to trim the tab a little bit. 

They then put the scraps back in the middle so other children can use them. Using a scrap that is different than their original color, they cut and paste decorations.

My students' lizards are currently hanging up on the wall so I don't have any photos. They look cute when arranged in different directions on a bulletin board or a cork strip, they look like they are crawling all over the wall!

Here are some samples I made. I'll update them soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment